Internship Title: Food Safety Internship
Internship Site : International Fresh Produce Association
Please Contact Employer Directly.
Description : Food Safety Interns will be responsible for supporting the IFPA Food Safety and Regulatory team, working in collaboration with Sustainability, Research and Government and Nutrition Policy interns. Interns will gain first hand experience as to how federal food safety policy is developed, how foodborne illness outbreaks are handled, and how science and education promote industry implementation of risk-based preventive approaches to maintain the safety and quality throughout the fresh produce supply chain.
Location : Internships will be remote; with the exception of the Orientation/Welcome and concluding Project Presentation being in-person at the IFPA office
Qualifications : Must be a current Sophomore or Junior (rising Junior or Senior undergraduate student at the time of the summer of 2023 internship) in a STEM based or Agriculture degree program at an accredited college or university in good standing.
- Pursuing a degree in food science, horticulture, microbiology, agriculture, environmental science or policy, public health, or a related field. Completed course work in microbiology, food safety, and food law a plus.
- Must have a current GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Able to function in a collaborative work environment and independently with strong time management and remote working capabilities.
- Possess excellent communication skills both orally and written to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and able to provide necessary paperwork and information (Social Security Number, W-8 or W-9. Etc.) upon request prior to the onsite Orientation.
Start and End Dates : The week of May 15th and culminating in the week of July 17th
Compensation : Interns will receive a total stipend of $4,400 for the 10-week internship o Payments of $1,100 will be made four times over the 10-week Internship
Total Hours : Part-Time Internship – approximately 20 hours/week with established and communicated working hours.
Learning Objectives :
- Work collaboratively, applying knowledge and skills, to complete assigned projects
- Build technical, leadership and communication skills
- Develop emotional intelligence, problem solving and accountability competencies
- Get first hand experience of IFPA, the industry and its career opportunities
- Benefit from structured peer-to-peer networking sessions, which, combined with the direct engagement with industry members and a personal ‘career ambassador,’ contribute to a robust learning environment
How to Apply : Funding for this position is grant-based, with the goal of promoting participation in the agriculture and food systems workforce by groups who are noticeably underrepresented in the field, including but not limited to women and people of color. Interested applicants who possess minimum qualifications for this position must first create an account Organization Name = University Name. If not in system, select Create Account
- Organization = University Name
- Primary Product = Produce
- Billing Information = University Address
- Primary Business Type = College / University
- Select Create
- Open Email to Create your Username & Password
Login to complete the 2023 Summer Internship Application which will require you to submit:
- A Cover Letter which includes:
- Statement of Interest for the Named Internship
- Qualifications possessed to be considered for internship
- Please address directly how your inclusion would advance the role of underrepresented groups in this field, if applicable.
- A Resume
- Faculty Letter of Recommendation For questions about this opportunity or if you experience any difficulties creating your account and accessing the application, email bhochman[at]freshproduce.com
Please Contact Employer Directly.
For More Details Visit: https://freshproducea.sharepoint.com/sites/events-all/Shared%20Documents/Student%20Programs/Career%20Pathways/2023%20NIFA%20Internship/Job%20Descriptions/2023%20-%20Food%20Safety%20Internship%20Desc%20for%20Application.pdf